At the Show & Tell evening, guests were shown a short video produced by BALLE (Business Alliance for Local Living Economies), an american volunteer group which which are fighting to create the same surroundings which nurture new business and attract investment as we are on Old Perth Road.
So who’s going to follow now with new projects for Re-New Old Perth Rd?? Who is going to be the next Sensationalist?
Here is the list we compiled after the Show & Tell night.
- An Out Door Gallery – perhaps on the wall of the Chinese restaurant.
- Planting the centre verge with shrubs and interesting plants.
- Coordinated themed Shop windows and shop fronts.
- Install WiFi hotspots in some of the shops
- Hold a Busking Event – the Bassendean Hotel is keen on this one.
- The Bassendean Hotel are also keen to establish weekly growers markets. They recruited two volunteers on the night to help them.
- The Bassendean Hotel is putting planters out the front to soften the image up a little.
- Jim and Leigh from the hotel have also started a loyalty card, and are expanding it to include other businesses. Read more
30 passionate residents and energetic traders gathered in the back room at the Bassendean Hotel on Monday 10 June. We celebrated our local heroes, our Sensationalists who jumped on board and rolled out their ideas to brighten up Old Perth Road.
This group are the core enthusiasts who attended the launch of the Re-New Old Perth Road program 12 weeks ago with chief instigator and brains behind it David Engwicht and Creating Communities.
- Australia has amongst the highest smartphone penetration in the world …
- Yet Google research showed just 55% of the websites of Australian businesses could be seen and navigated on a mobile device.
This latest trend is emerging as a real winner for retailers.
In this Digital era, the customer is able to choose when they want to shop and research is telling us, the convenient time is after tea has been served, the dishes are done and the kids are in bed! According to an article in ITNews, 8pm in the evening is when your customers are going “out shopping”.
Look at your web presence (be it web site or Facebook Page) as a second outlet from which you sell your goods. Send out Facebook posts at this time, ensure your web site is most effective on tablets and other mobile devices.
Read the whole article here
We are thrilled about how the community have got behind this programme. It is fantastic.
We will celebrate those who pioneered the Re -New idea on the street and in their shops and also plan and decide what new programs can be attempted (and we’ve got some good ideas!!).
It will be at the Bassendean Hotel, Monday 10th June @ 7pm. Read more