At the beginning of October we promoted a webinar for small businesses which was presented on the 22 October by the ACCC, Australian Securities and Investments Commission, Australian Taxation Office and the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO).
More than 450 people participated in the live event which included a question-and-answer panel session. Some of the topics and questions covered during the webinar included:
- reducing red tape for small businesses
- claiming tax deductions for business set-up costs
- understanding the pros and cons of buying a franchise as opposed to setting up a new business
- the advantages of collective bargaining by small businesses
- how to keep up to date with regulatory changes using digital channels.
I’ve just viewed most of it and while the topic is exactly what they’ve advertised and there are not a lot of jokes and laughter!, it is very watchable and engaging. The speakers are all articulate and know their stuff. They identify well with small and medium businesses. Each of the four agencies are really focussing on being supportive of small business and are doing excellent things to engage with business. For example, you can join the Small Business Consultation Panel or use the Business Viability Tool (ATO), Download the Hiring Guide (FWO), and many more great services and ideas.